This morning, the Garmin API changed again resulting in ConnectStats failing to download activities again. It had happened on a smaller scale a few weeks ago. The issue is the same as before but for different part of the API, so it was quite quick to fix. But as before I need to push that version to apple and wait for them to approve it and release it, which can take up to a week. app review times indicates a 5 days average for release, so we’ll see. As soon as version 3.1 is available, once you update it should work again.
To avoid hate mail and incendiary reviews during the outage I disabled the bug report and removed the app from sale on the store. I made the mistake not to do that last outage… I will re-enable everything as soon as the new version is out.
I do not know if the change means Garmin is trying to play cat and mouse and prevent 3rd party developer to access their API. Their message in the past was a bit unclear. They said they would disabled, but I had registered with them and they could see the activity of ConnectStats, yet didn’t disable it. I hope the current outage is not intentional. We’ll see how the situation evolves. I’ll keep you posted.