Living in London, the year end period ended up in new strict lockdown with very few options but to spend a lot of time at home, and skip the traditional visit to my family in France and Switzerland. Luckily me and my family stayed safe so far.
I took the opportunity of being at home to make quite a few changes to ConnectStats both internally and externally…
A new look
The biggest external change is that ConnectStats has now the beginning of a new look for the first time since its start in 2011. I supposed it’s fitting for a 10 year old anniversary…
The new look is not yet the default as it is early and likely to have some issues, but you can try it by switching in settings to the new theme “2021”. Please try it and share feedback (and bugs) so we can hopefully take it to become the main and default theme for the app.
The design comes from discussions with one of the app long time user, Gilles Papain, who became a friend now. While I am more of a science geek, as the app look easily reveals, he is definitely a more artistic person, as you can tell from his show case web site. He has been sending me a lot of suggestion and mock up, and patiently commenting on my “design effort” and I am very grateful as I think this will take the app to a new place. I learned a lot about the art of aligning numbers, caring about pixels size and alignment and how it affects the overall look of an app, which I’ll write about shortly.
The relook isn’t finished, but please preview the early design and let us know what you think.
For a lot of the internals of the app, I had been using third party open source libraries, a lot of which have now been deprecated and not in sync with the times. And the methods I used to get the code of these libraries is quite obsolete by now with the latest packaging of libraries that the latest development tools like Xcode provide. Not to mentioned Apple now promote a whole new language for app development: swift.
It all started when a user asked me about easier sharing via modern packaging of the fit parsing of ConnectStats and FitFile Explorer. Always eager to learn some new tools, I obliged and got both so impressed and enthusiastic about the new approach that I decided to move all my own libraries and the third party I used to the new approach, which will meant getting rid of obsolete one and moving on to more modern one.
I think this will pay in the future as it makes ConnectStats more modern and easier to maintain going forward.
As a side effect the Fit Parsing of ConnectStats and FitFileExplorer is now an easy to integrate package for any app in swift.
Improved Authentication for Garmin and Strava
As part of this I upgraded the old authentication package I used for Strava and because for some interesting coincidence the authentication with Garmin stopped working with Access Denied error this week for Garmin, I upgraded that one as well! Special thanks to tapiriik, a synchronisation service, for having an open source of the logic used to connect to Garmin, as it helped me figure out how to adapt my logic to get it working again
Latest Version Released yesterday
So yesterday’s release is actually quite a major one, with a lot of changes. The issue with Garmin authentication forced me to release it quicker than I wanted. So please let me know if there are any issues, but hopefully now ConnectStats has a good foundation to continue for its second decade…