Please look for some of the typical issues and workaround
Login issues with Garmin
- Garmin have been regularly changing their API. Older version usually do not work with the latest version. You need to update the app. Some info here
- Check this link which has some setup documentation for both Garmin and Strava
- Check your name or password. Sounds silly, but still had a few people realized they had the wrong password
- You have both a user name and an email address that sometime can be accepted by garmin for login. Try both to login and make sure you enter the case exactly as you see it in your profile on the garmin connect website.
- Your garmin account needs to be switched to the modern version of Garmin Connect. This is because the classic API is being decommissioned and ConnectStats now uses the modern API. If your account isn’t switched it will fail.
- The new garmin login protocol is case sensitive, make sure you entered your username with the right case.
- Certain special characters are not supported in the password with the new login.
- Make sure you can from a web browser connect to the garmin web site and see the activities you are expecting
- Try to pull down from the activity list in the app at least two times to make sure you consistently get the error message. After a failure the app will try to delete cookie and force a login.
- Try to fully close the app and restart it. (Press home button twice, then the minus sign on the app to close it)
- If you have special characters in your password sometimes it will prevent the app to login via the direct method.
- Several people had proxy, vpn or other security related filters preventing the app to access the garmin service. This results in a “Parsing Failed” error. To check if that’s your case, connect to the garmin web side from the safari browser on your mobile device, then try to go to the following link. Make sure you get data for your activities rather than an error message.
- There is a problem with the garmin service that affected a few people. This results in partial download and a “Service Temporarily Unavailable” during download. To check if you are affected by that issue, you can login to the garmin web side and in the Activities Tab check if you can iterate through all your pages of activities with the number at the bottom. If you can’t, the app won’t be either and you should contact garmin to investigate your account.
- Check if the time on your iphone or ipad is correct, the best is to make sure the time on the device is automaticaly updated. If your device time is off it can make the garmin authentification fail.
- If you continuously get Connection Error as opposed to a login error, parsing error or access denied. It appears that sometimes the iPhone has trouble reaching the host. People manage to get out of this error by either restarting their phone or restarting their internet router if on wifi.
- If all above fails or is not applicable, it appears that most people got it working by uninstalling/reinstalling the app
- If you still can’t login at this point, send me a bug report from the settings page and if you include an email I’ll get back to you after looking at your logs to see if something special is happening for you. Please let me know if you have a special character in the password, it should work but was an issue before so you never know.
Login Issues with Strava
- [Fixed in 1.23] If you select strava as your service, errors will incorrectly be reported as coming from garmin, while in fact coming from strava.
- [Fixed in 1.23] Refresh on Startup does not work with Strava and will result in an error message mentioning garmin, just pull down the activity list and it should then refresh
- [Improved in 1.23] Once you have enabled Strava as a service you need to go to the activity list and pull down on the list to start the login process and the refresh. It should then show a strava login page the first time and then start downloading activitives
Crashes can be difficult for me to reproduce, here is some information if you are willing you can send me information for me to track the problem down